Syngas, or synthesis gas, is a gas mixture consisting of hydrogen, carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide resulting from the gasification of a carbon-containing fuel. Midrex commercially offers technology utilizing syngas derived from natural gas and coal sources.
MxCol® can use reducing gas from several sources of syngas:
- Commercial gasifiers using a variety of low-cost fuels
- Export gas from the coal-based COREX® Hot Metal Process by Primetals Technologies
- MIDREX® Thermal Reactor System™ (TRS™)
- Can use reducing gas from several sources of syngas.
- In the gasifier option, using syngas is potentially more efficient than direct combustion of the original fuel.
- A very high-quality syngas can be produced by gasification technology regardless of the quality of the fuel.
- This allows for use of various bituminous and sub-bituminous coals, lignite, pet coke and petroleum refinery bottoms.
- In cases where natural gas availability is uncertain or when energy costs rise, the gasifier syngas option can provide a beneficial alternative.
Jindal Steel and Power Ltd. (JSPL)
1st commercial MxCol Plant using coal gasifier
Capacity: 1.8 mtpy
Location: Angul, India