When you become a part of the Midrex family, you are joining a global network of bright, innovative teammates who are striving towards a common goal – providing outstanding value to our clients. Our dynamic team around the world contributes to a culture of accountability, integrity, and innovation.
Midrex Technologies, Inc. is seeking professionals who want to make a difference. We are the world leader for clean and reliable ironmaking solutions for steelmakers around the world in the fastest growing sector of the steel industry. We believe in a dynamic, collaborative working environment powered by a culture of teamwork and a commitment to give back to both our employees and the community. At Midrex, we ask a lot of our employees, which is why we give so much in return with an excellent benefit package and matching 401(k).
The General Function of this position is to provide system and equipment design associated with the construction and design of Direct Reduced Iron plants while providing new technology initiatives.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform designs and systems through calculations associated with E/I engineering;
- Sketch and transfer conceptual design ideas to the designers for development of E/I drawings;
- Coordinate the E/I design effort by acting as a Lead E/I Engineer for a particular project by: (a) directing the efforts of assigned engineers and designers for the E/I system design requirements; (b) checking drawings, calculations, sketches, etc. for the project; (c) development specifications/requisitions for support of purchasing effort; (d) reviewing and approving purchasing quotations, vendor drawings, and QA documents.
- Technically support purchasing with review of vendor submittals and on-site inspections of equipment.
- Provide direction and technical support for engineers and designers.
- Analyze equipment for current technology.
- Check drawings and drafting for adherence to designs
- Review designs and assist Senior Engineers and Management by making suggestions to improve an existing or proposed design relative to its function.
- Travel to job sites to analyze equipment, collect data and information, interact with plant personnel, and gain experience valuable to design considerations (i.e. operating conditions, temperature considerations, etc.).
- Travel on business trips and/or field assignments as required to carry out departmental tasks and functions.
- Write technical specifications for the equipment design, fabrication, procurement, etc.
- Work as a “team player” with all company departments and employees in all assignments. Work toward building consensus on all assignments by finding solutions which meet the best interests of all parties involved.
Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Bachelor of Science, Electrical/Instrumentation
- 10 years hands on design experience in a technical environment, preferably the steel industry.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically and internationally (occasionally for long periods of time)
- Ability to move around project site including climbing structures
- Excellent writing and interpersonal skills
- Ability to meet schedule deadlines
JOB TITLE: Field Engineer- Multiple Openings
JOB DESCRIPTION: Provide coordination covering training, commissioning and startup of plants. Duties include monitoring plant operations remotely to optimize and troubleshoot operating Midrex plants worldwide from a local control room at Midrex Charlotte; take direction from the Chief Operations
Manager(s) and Senior Operations Engineer; interface with Engineers inside and outside of Midrex main office to accomplish the assigned project; assist with the development of training programs for client operations personnel, including preparation of training manuals, aids, and lesson plans for the program; prepare operating instructions, maintenance manuals, commission procedures, and other operating literature; participate in conducting training programs by assisting in on-the-job training as well as formal classroom lectures on plant systems; perform pre-operations activities, such as checking and testing the electrical, mechanical, and instrumentation systems prior to startup of a new plant; participate in the initial phase of operations during a new plant startup; travel on field assignments as required to carry out assigned tasks; provide assistance to mechanical, electrical, and/or process departments during design phase, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Metallurgical, or Mechanical Engineering plus ten (10) years of experience in a Direct Reduction Plant. Employer will accept the foreign equivalent of a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Experience must include the following activities:
- Working as a panel operator in the control room and ensuring the plant is operated per the process engineers’ daily instructions, including meeting production and quality objectives;
- Troubleshooting plant issues during upset conditions or in the event of plant trips;
- Adjusting the process as required when the quality starts to deviate;
- Operating in the field to ensure equipment is operating as expected;
- Coordinating with the mechanical and instrument maintenance departments as required to ensure the plant can meet the availability target;
- Involvement in daily production meetings;
- Involvement with plant startup after extended shutdowns or in plant commissioning for a new facility;
- Involvement with pre-start up checks to ensure all equipment is operating as expected prior to plant start up after an extended shutdown or commissioning of a new plant;
- Familiar with all the safety procedures on a Direct Reduction Plant and all hazards, such as hydrogen sulfide, that can be found in natural gas;
- Experience with starting of equipment in a Direct Reduction Facility such as centrifugal compressors, rotary lobe compressors, pumps, and fans;
- Involvement with training of new operators and personnel on a direct reduction facility;
- Ability to contribute to the operations team and solve problems as a part of a group;
- Requires domestic and international travel 25% of time to assist in Midrex plant commissioning and for plant optimization, meeting or studies. Drug/background check required.
SALARY: $93,850 – $104,312.60
JOB LOCATION: Midrex Technologies, Inc., 3735 Glen Lake Drive, Suite 400, Charlotte, NC 28208
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Send resume with cover letter referencing job title to:
Kathy Dent, Midrex Technologies, Inc., 3735 Glen Lake Drive, Suite 400, Charlotte, NC 28208.
This notice is being posted as a result of the filing of an application for Permanent Alien Labor Certification for the job described above. Any person may comment or provide documentary evidence bearing on the application to:
United States Department of Labor
Employment and Training Administration
Atlanta Processing Center
Harris Tower, 233 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 410
Atlanta, Georgia 30303.
Our employee engagement scores are best in class and we are more committed than ever to ensuring our culture drives our vision of becoming the most valuable and reliable source of iron for the steel industry. Integrity, teamwork, and commitment are just a few aspects of our culture that make Midrex a great place to work.
I have always felt that I am part of a team of motivated, intelligent people who work hard and want the best for the Midrex family. That pushes me to do likewise.Todd Ames
Senior Key Account Manager
There is a sense of camaraderie, and empowerment here at Midrex. Working here allows you to maintain your individuality, while also being part of a team.Tamia Scales
Knowledge Management & Technology Administrator
The culture and people that make up the Midrex community are what I find most motivating about working here. There is a strong sense of inclusion and prioritizing interpersonal relationships that seems part of the foundation of our corporate culture.Greg Walker
Midrex is a great company to make a Career with, and that’s why I choose to be part of the Midrex Family. Midrex is unique among our industry in that it is truly a 'people first' company. People – our Customers and our Teammates matter first here. We work hard to serve the needs of our customers and interests of our company. At Midrex, you are trusted to get the job done – and expected to do so. However – you can be confident that this company and its leadership genuinely care about you and your family.Robert Montgomery
Key Account Manager - MENA