The MIDREX® Shaft Furnace discharges DRI hotter than competing technologies, enabling higher temperature product to be delivered to the meltshop.
The main benefits of charging hot DRI (HDRI) to the EAF are:
- Less energy required to heat the DRI to melting temperature.
- Shorter overall melting cycle.
- Reduced electrode consumption.
- Reduced tap-to-tap time up to 20% compared to charging DRI at ambient temperature.
- Reduced electricity consumption about 20 kWh/t liquid steel for each 100° C increase in DRI charging temperature.
- Lower overall emissions due to lower electricity demand and reduced need for charge carbon.